Re: SPICA..more stuff

In a message dated 7/13/99 4:15:24 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

>  First, conceptually, it was employed in the US not to improve performance,
>  but to limit performancde to meet EPA regulations, the "Global Warming"
>  agenda more influential in the US than elsewhere.

At the time of the introduction of the SPICA there was no "global warming"
agenda.  This is a relatively recent phenomenon...90's ish.  In the 60's,
when this was developed, it was photochemical smog as demonstrated by L.A.
and later other cities (Denver, et al).

Of the 3 major mechanical injection systems available at the time, the SPICA
was far and away the superior system and capable of producing prodigious HP
in a well designed racing motor.  FOR IT'S TIME, it was a remarkable
engineering achievement.  Literally a mechanical analog computer.  Comparing
it to modern systems is unfair, but the modern analog and digital systems
still measure and use the same parameters as the SPICA, and then some.  I
know the Weber crowd does not like it, but a well setup SPICA is the equal to
the Weber's anyday, plus you have to rejet them if you are going up/down in
altitude by any significant amount.  Not necessary with the SPICA.  Poorly
set up Webers are worse than a poorly set up SPICA..IMHO. Dialing in a pair
of Webers (or DelOrto's, or whatever) is everybit as tricky as setting up the
SPICA...maybe worse.  I have heard it referred to as a "black art"   I took
the Webers off of my 79 Alfetta (put there by the DPO) and reinstalled the
SPICA from my decrepit 74 GTV.  Good performance, better driveablilty,
improved mileage...I'll take the SPICA anyday.

Just my humble opinion and it is as good as anyone's.

Jerry in Houston

The SPICA was indeed developed from a diesel injection system, recalibrated
and resealed to use gasoline.  Take a look the next time you pass a
Fiat/Allison roadgrader and you will see a dead ringer for the SPICA pump.
Take it to a diesel shop and they will recognize it right away.