re: Tire Question, Yokohama Nexus

Zamani wrote...
> I may just get cheaper Dunlop SP Sport W-10 for street use and buy
> another set of multi-spoke wheels (something like an OZ Superturissmo in
> white ala the 155 Superturissmo, or Alfa 156 wheels (Alfa Bill hear
> that?)) and fit some really sticky street tires like the Yoko A022 on it
> for track use.

   If you go that route, skip the A022s and get Kumho V700s.  The
wear/grip ratio is not that much different, and you'll have more fun.
Also Toyo RA-1s, which will last even longer.

> My current tire choices:
> - -Falken GR-Beta RS Tune II (Grippy Tires, even on the track!
> Great wear char.! $105 each! Can't find them at that price anymore)
> - -Toyo Proxes T1 Plus (a few of you have given input on this, I
> understand the T1 was great. But the T1 Plus, some have said to
> be inferior to the older T1, any inputs now?)
> - -Yokohama Nexus (supposedly to be better than the AVS and what a
> deal!)

   I have Nexuses on one car, and AVS Intermediates on the other right
now.  I really don't believe the Nexuses are much superior, for street
use.  Unfortunately, the cars are different, so I can't make a direct
comparison, but the Nexuses are much less talkative, and inferior in
the wet.  They may have more ultimate grip, but it takes more commitment
to get there.

   The Nexuses were slightly more expensive, but in a larger size.  I paid
$371 for 4 14" AVSis, and $388 for 4 16" Nexuses.  These are not strictly
representative prices, since the Nexuses were on sale from the Tire Rack.

   http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/yoko_rd.htm has a test which
includes both of these tires, and rates the Nexus significantly higher.
The Tire Rack has 205/55/16s at $97 for the Nexus, and $90 for the AVS.
Personally, I'd buy the AVS if the price is close, and certainly if
cheaper, but that doesn't jive with the Tire Rack's testing, apparently.
( And some of my experience is autocrossing on the Tire Rack's own test
lot, so cross out that variable. )

- --
 D a v i d  H i l l m a n
 scscc, nma, scca, imoc