Re: First run through the Deep Dark Forest: 1974 Spider

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> It normally sits just the right side of 185 on the
> gauge, which as I remember from my other two Spiders is just right.
> Creeping through traffic in the 90+ degree heat and running uphill
> briskly put it squarely half way between 185 and 215 degrees on the
> gauge.

On the way in to work today, I noted the markings on my Jaeger temp
gauge.  I only have three actual numbers printed on my particular gauge:
100, 180, and 260.  (I don't know exactly what year this gauge comes
from; a previous owner has apparently replaced the dash, console, and
seats in my '74 with very nice units from an '82-'85 car, according to a
number of observers at the last ARA meeting.)  There are tick marks
halfway between 100 and 180, and again between 180 and 260.  I'm
assuming that the higher of the two unlabeled tick marks is 220, and
I've been interpolating between them to track some data more closely.

Yesterday on both trips out (to work in the morning and home in the
evening), for example, it showed just a hair under 220 -- and it was
nearly 100 degrees outside.  (Let's just say that I drove the car to
work in the morning, left it in the lot, and then went out to drive it
home about 6 PM and the needle was *above* the 100 mark when I turned
the key.)

I did some cooling system tweaks last night (more separately) and this
morning it was 190 all the way in once it warmed up -- except for a fast
left-right corner where it first dropped to 170, then rose to about 210,
then settled back down.  Has anyone ever explained *why* Alfa
temperature gauges wobble under cornering?  The '67 does this too...

Anyway, we're moving in the right direction.  I'll explain what and why
(and what else... :-) later...

> I don't think it's a problem, but I would prefer a 185 degree thermostat.
> I'll probably change it when I get the chance.

I may do that too; when it's 101 degrees outside, we need all the help
we can get.

> Oh yes, when I filled the tank Friday eve and checked the oil, I noted it
> was time for a quart of oil for the first time. Not too shabby: I'm
> getting 2900 miles per quart.

Seems about where I am -- the dipstick shows about 25% down from the max
level, with a little over 800 miles on the car since I picked it up.
I'll take ~3K per quart, that's about the time that I change oil too.
Though I've asked my wife to pick up some Castrol Syntec, I'm planning
to change it on Saturday before the ARA autocross this Sunday.

- --Scott