re: Spica fuel inj. bah hum-bug

> Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 21:40:18 -0400
> From: Anthony Rondeau <rondeau@domain.elided>
> Subject: Spica fuel inj. bah hum-bug
>
> I have a Spica set up on my spider.  I have read
> many positive comments
> about this design when it is properly adjusted.  My
> questions are:
>If it was so great, why did'nt Farrari or somebody
>else use it? and Why was it only primarily for the US
>market if it was so great?

I can not speak for Alfa and othersa here are better
versed in why Alfa did this or that, but let me make a
comment or two.

I own an alfa with a SPICA. I used to own Ducati
motorcycles with DESMO heads. DESMO is short for
desmodromic. This is a valve system that does not
depend on valve springs to operate the valve. It is
not widely used on motorcycles or cars. Hoow come?
When properly adjusted the Ducati DESMO system is far
and away a better system for racing bikes. Why doesn't
Harley use it? The answer is that every company
designs and builds their own products. They seek
solutions to problem in their own way. Some are better
than others, some become more widespread. Turbos and
superchargers are used but not by everyone. That is
what makes horse races.

I beleive SPICA was an answer to the demands of the US
EPA, I could be wrong here, but I beleive it had
something to do with that.

Personally, I
> don't like it.  I'll admit that I am no fuel
> injection expert and its
> possible that it is the greatest idea since sliced
> bread, but I can find
> alot of information on how to adjust it when the
> pump and everything
> else is operating as it should, but nothing that
> tells me how to repair
> the pump itself!  Come on now, are there some magic
> elves in there.  If
> you can buy a manual on how to rebuild an engine, I
> find it hard to
> believe that there is nothing available on
> rebuilding the pump.  At
> least I have not seen this manual in any of the
> major parts suppliers
> catalogs.

Hmm there are sources on SPICA. The AROC sells a book
on SPICA, Centerline, Wes Ingram, and Par Barden's all
deal with SPICAs. Does every part store carry Alfa
books? Does every bike shop carry books on DESMO
headed Ducatis? The info is there, you just have to
ask about it.

>To me that is more valuable to have a
> system that can be
> maintained rather than having a fuel system that
> performs slightly
> better but can't be serviced unless it's sent across
> country.

Hmm you might be suprised to find out just how much
cross country stuff is done on a lot of old cars. I
knew a Dr. once in my home town who had to flatbed his
RR 165 miles to a repair shop when it didn't start. If
you have a rare car you have to deal with some things
not being at the Ford dealer. I'd not trade the
feeling I get riding a Ducati or drive my Alfa for
anything. We have some nice rare cars that we can
mostly afford to keep running and enjoying when the
25+ years old...

>            Sorry,
> just venting out loud,

Hmmm isn't that what the digest is for? As long as we
agree to disagree and don't torch someone who is well
reasoned?

> Tony from CT

regards,

jkc