Re: alfa-digest V7 #878

>Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 14:14:38 -0700
>From: Scott Fisher <sefisher@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Car-O-Scope
>
>Various people have written about Click and Clack's Car-O-Scope Web
>site, with Jay's comment here being the most recent I've read:
>
>"My suspicion is that they have some profile of the "ideal" owner of
>each
>car, and that for Alfas, they totally misunderstood what we Alfisti are
>all
>about."
>
>Mmmmmmmmm, not even close, not as I read those two.  For the record, MY
>suspicion is that they have a REALLY good time yanking people's chains,
>and this Web site obviously is perfectly designed to do exactly that, at
>least for Alfisti. :-)

Sadly, I haven't been able to get to the site as they seemed to have
disabled the page.  Sounded like a lot of fun.  :-(

Anyway, the address/directory structure seemed to have suggested
that it was lumped with their demographics survey.  My guess is
that they took all the results of the survey, sorted them
by make/model of car and averaged the responses to create
the "ideal" owner profile.  Then, as you log in and complete
the survey, they use some sort of curve fitting to match you
to the previous survey result averages on a per make/model basis.

Therefore, if I completed a survey for a 6c1750 Zagato and it was
the first and only one they had ever received for that particular
make/model, then you would be recommended for a 6c1750 Zagato if
and only if you complete the survey exactly as I had.

I guess that either we are a diversified bunch or there aren't
enough statistical samples to generate a representative Alfa owner's
demographic profile.

- -Dennis
'85 GTV6
San Diego, CA

P.S. I don't really have a Zagato-bodied 6c1750  :-) :-) :-)