Re: airflow stuff

>I've got the K&Ns on my '77 spider, and I realize that this probably is not
>the greatest thing for increasing power. BUT, wouldn't the metal pipe that
>normally would feed air directly into the stock SPICA filter box also give
>the K&Ns a rush of cool (or not so cool here in CA) air?

The air ducting of the stock SPICA airbox isn't necessarily designed to
be supplying pressurized air, just cooler air from in front of the
radiator. It's aided by the fact that the intake creates a depression in
the airbox: it sucks the cooler air in through the duct. Without the
close proximity/coupling of the airbox and duct, it's far less effective.

As I reported earlier, when I experimented with these things on my 1750
many moons ago, the effect of the K&Ns vs the stock airbox was
effectively nil. Particularly with a '76-79 Alfa engine, there is far
more power potential in doing something about the awful header,
restrictive catcon, low compression and very mild cams than any
airbox/filter change alone could effect, speaking in terms of relative
significance.

Godfrey