164/general radiator cooling issues

I've been getting alot of calls lately about cooling systems running
too high in Alfas.
	I drive in a tough climate, 90's and 80% humidity, and Alfas don't have
much trouble here. I think there is a misunderstanding about what is OK
for an temp. operating range.

On the 164, the temp gauge has marks, 175, small mark, large mark,
small  mark and 250. (USA) If it is between the 175 and up to the large
mark, drive the car and let it do it's job. They are designed to work
there. If it doesn't, first suspect the gauge and take an independent
temp reading with a candy thermometer or similar. Gauge senders are
often wrong.

I get calls from owners wanting to reduce the thermostats to 160 and run
fans full time. This throws off the other sensors and wears out the fan.
It also is overcooling the car. If your car overheats, there is a
mechanical reason.
Check:
	that the fan is working,
	temp switch on radiator is coming on correctly,
	radiator/condenser is clean outside, and not blocked,
	thermostat is correct value and working
	radiator flow is good, (overheating at speed is an indicator of a head
gasket issue or poor flow inside.
	hoses are not collasped. Alfa hoses are low priced, change them.
	check that air is purged from the system.
	If that is all ok, then you should be fine. My 164 runs around 180 on
the road and on the large mark in town. Day in day out. 98K. The Black
Beast, 164 shop car from Louisiana, runs one needle over the large mark
in traffic with the a/c on, stopped behind a city bus.

Enough for now. Hope it helps someone.

AlfaBill

End of alfa-digest V7 #873