hot 164 a/c

>..... They said that it
> checked out fine and had no leaks but when they fully charged it the A/C
> blew warmer than ever. They checked to make sure the compressor was coming
> on. All the other heating functions are working and steppers seem fine. The
> self test came up clean. Any suggestions on a probable cause and or cure?
> Thanks
> Mark Philipps
> '91 164S

a few things that might help here,

1- an overcharged a/c system will not function properly, did they have
the correct specs? (worse after service?)

2- check the flap door in the lower dash area that it is not mixing hot
air. (heater core is always hot in 164s) You can also use a long lever
to move the cable operated door if your stepper has failed in a heat
mode.
	Some digesti (Dug?) mentioned a brass valve to shut off the otherwise
continuing circulation of the hot coolant through the htr core for
summer use. I am going to tinker with this soon as Sodia is semi
retired.
	Simple test would be to carefully squeeze/clamp heater supply hose and
check for improvement in temp.

3-check the obvious, clean condenser in front, dirt and leaves get in
there, and have you checked the A/C filter? won't make it hot but sure
helps air flow...

4-Unless there is no other choice, DO NOT convert early cars to R134a.
The system is designed for R12 and 134a is less efficient, thus "warmer"
in high load use. Later systems are larger to compensate.

5- bypass the low speed circuit of the cooling fan so that it runs high
when triggered to function. This reduces a/c head pressure alot!

6-proper operation of the expansion valve. Controls the freon flow to
the dash unit.

Contrary to common opinion, the a/c in 164s as other Alfas is not
complicated. Good diagnosis and reapir willmake it work 100%.

End
AlfaBill
91 168, waiting for new a/c clutch coil, gorgeous as ever.
91 Nizam Scentra, fridgid a/c and 30 mpg local. All for $312, but no
soul.
86 Spider Veloce, For sale. Rescued, and needs a home.