re: A/C Problems after Charge

hi mark, ewe said:
>I just had my A/C checked for leaks at a Canadian Tire store while I was on
>vacation up in Canada. I got so hot over the 4 th of July weekend that I
>couldn't bare the ride home without some strong A/C. They said that it
>checked out fine and had no leaks but when they fully charged it the A/C
>blew warmer than ever. They checked to make sure the compressor was coming
>on. All the other heating functions are working and steppers seem fine. The
>self test came up clean. Any suggestions on a probable cause and or cure?
to ensure the steppers are working fine, ewe can czech to see that the control
is in the rite position by opening the hood, pulling the plastic cover off from
in front of the windshield, and look at that plastic arm w/the wire in it at the
center of the car, from the passenger side (usa-type model).  it should be
towards the front of the car to ensure no heat goes thru the hvac.  my steppers
are shot, & i manually moved this lever-arm forward to get a/c.

if, in fact, you have freon, the steppers work, the compressor works, etc, then
it's wery possible that your receiver/dryer went away, clogging the a/c
expansion walve.  this will prevent the good stuff from getting into the
evaporator, so no cooling effect when air's blown over it.  happened to an old
wolwo i had, my pantera is currently afflicted.  common on cars w/little a/c
use, or when ewe don't run the a/c at least once a month during the off-season
(this also helps keep the seals from drying out).  surprising to hear of a 164
w/this problem, cuz the a/c normally gets a lot of winter use, unless you always
keep it in the 'economy' mode.

good luck,

doug s