RE: Cool, fast air; Shankle Quadraflow

Scott Fisher asked about the Shankle Quadraflow
induction system for Spica-injected cars.

I had two sets on two cars for a while in the 80s.
I eventually sold off both pairs. The Quadraflow =

originally sold for ca. $125 each. My impressions:

1) Engine was louder than with stock airbox, but
not terribly so.
2) Couldn't detect any hp increase, though since the car was
louder, it certainly SOUNDED faster.
3) Seemed to be a slight hesitation in the power band at
around 2700 rpm. (May this be due to optimizing the air flow
for above 5000 rpm?)
4) There were a few hoses that connected to the stock airbox
that had to be routed elsewhere or plugged when the Quadraflow
was installed. The large hose from the oil separator was =

extended and simply aimed at the ground. There were additional
hoses that had to be plugged or extended.
5) Produced a bit more roomy engine compartment (a plus),
since Quadraflow was smaller than stock airbox.

On thermostatically operated electric fans, there is an
interesting discussion of fans by Philip H. Smith in his
book "The Design and Tuning of Competition Engines," Bentley,
Inc. Here's part of it:

   "The Lucas installation on the E-type Jaguar takes about 7 amps at 12 =

   volts, a typical proprietary unit takes 6 amps. These figures represen=
t =

   less than 100 watts, or 0.13 horsepower; of course, this power is
unvarying =

   since the fan is either on or off. A fan that operates at a constant r=
pm

   can be designed to be highly efficient at that speed only; fans that
must =

   operate over a range of rpm are inefficient at nearly all times becaus=
of =

   the compromises that go into their shape. This explains why the losses=

to =

   an engine driven fan are much higher than to an electric fan..."

Rich Hirsch
'87 Milano
'78 Spider
'67 Duetto