Re: alfa-digest V7 #868 - Quadriflow Air Filter

owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 17:58:54 -0700
 From: Scott Fisher <sefisher@domain.elided>
 Subject: Cool, fast air

 <snip>
 And for a final question -- considering only the lengths of the runners
 from the outer end of the Spica manifold to where they terminate inside
 the stock airbox, *how long are they*?

 I think I'm going to do some peering under my hood with a tape measure
 before I call Ricambi with my MasterCard number...  I'll let you know.

 - --Scott Fisher
   '74 Spider
   '67 GT 1300 Junior

	The Shankle quadriflow has been around for a long time.  The earliest
version had one air cleaner around the four ram tubes.  The front and back
were red plastic with green foam in between - not exactly the most attractive
thing to have under your hood.  Later versions had two air cleaners.  Cost
was about $150 new, as I recall.
	The advantage is that the Quadriflow makes more noise than the stock
air cleaner.  The disadvantage is that it is not ducted to the front of the
vehicle and thus draws more warm air than the stock filter.
	Why not just take off the front of the Spica air cleaner box?  Inside
are the ram tubes you want and with the front of the box off, the induction
noise is quite satisfying, in my opinion.  If it sounds better, it has to be
making more horsepower, right?  Plus the opening is toward the source of cold
air.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City