Re: alfa-digest V7 #866

Subject: RE: tensioners again

Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 14:15:55 -0400
Richard Welty wrote:
> the _engine_ changes size.

At 01:39 PM 7/7/99 -0400, Sedon, Doug (OD/ORS) wrote:
>>if i have it all wrong, then why is the zat "abortion" a, well er uh,
an
>abortion?  if the belts don't change size (ie - stretch), then why do
they
>*need* a tensioner that adjusts for temperature?  why do they need
> more tension when cold?  i'm missing something here...

I can understand this with the bi-metal detensioner but then how did the
original oil pressure detensioner work?  Did the engine size actually
change with higher pressure?  I'm doubting it. ????

Scott Swanberg

My guess is  that when cold, the oil pressure is higher, as the oil heats up,
(presumably linear with the heat absorbed by the engine), the oil pressure drops
and changes the amount of tension applied

Graham Frisby
Alfa day coming soon : - )