intake

The purported advantage of many conical open-element air filters is,
as stated
    1) The sound from the induction isn't as contained and is more
audible
    2) The open elements are less restrictive and hence yield a
performance gain.

That said, anyone who is attune to their car and has driven it in the
heat of a humid summer afternoon and, a few months later, on a crisp
fall evening will know the value of the denser air.  Most open-element
filters currently on the market are situated in the engine compartment
with a minimum (if any) shielding from the engine itself and the
exhaust manifolds, meaning that it is taking in a very hot air charge.
While I think )only my opinion!) that turbocharged or supercharged
cars might derive enough benefit from the open element to overcome the
negative effect of the hot air, I doubt it is the case with a normally
aspirated six cylinder.

My GUESS, is that, in a street car, the exchange of hot air intake for
less restriction would be just about a wash, or produce a slight loss
of low end performance.  Even on specially prepared forced induction
vehciles, the typical conical filters only produce a couple HP at the
top end.  I did place an MSDS open element filter on my 924S, and
noticed a slight loss in bottom end and a slight gain in top end.

That being said, some of the specially tailored kits provide a long
tube that replaces the air filter box, and locates the conical filter
inside or near the finder well, farther away from heat sources and at
or near a fresh air source.   You could probably fabricate such a hose
with PVC and paint it black for appearances sake, you could use
flexible heat ducting, or ideally, find a prefab kit for a comparably
designed vehicle (i.e. maybe the new six cylinder accord?  is that
engine transverse?).

I did write to a performance part dealer in england that said they had
open element filters, and I believe that the "Jamex" dealers in
Eurpean Car magazine can get 164 applications, but I do not think they
include the aforementioned relocation pipe.  If I'm mistaken about
that, please let me know!  I would definately install a conical filter
that was providing cold air, but I would not place one right in the
engine compartment.  Again, just my personal preference.