Re: Warm vs Cool air

There's no mystery here. You're also not imagining things. With an open
intake hose, any sound that burbles out of the air box will reverberate
under the hood, making the car sound "throaty". With the hose connected,
there's more hose for the sound to dissipate in, and all the remaining
sound is out in front of the car. If you stick your ear out front by the
air intake while somebody revs the motor, you'll hear the same sound, tho
somewhat muffled.

The hot vs. cold issue is simple thermodynamics. An engine that breathes
cool air will produce more HP than the same engine breathing hot air.
This was the source of Fred's somewhat harsh comments that anybody who
tosses the stock air box for a "high performance" filter is kidding
themselves. If you get a high performance filter that goes INSIDE the
stock air box, you may get a slight improvement in power with better
filtration. I happen to like K&N filters.