17/75 1750 Turismo

 In AD7-860 Ian Evans writes "Theres currently an owner's handbook offered on
Ebay for an Alfa 17/75 6cyl 1750 Turismo model.  No bids yet...

"Mr. Hertzman are you out there??  What is it?  When was it built?  Photo
of one of the pages shows an inline 6?"

Yes, I out here. The 6C 1750 Turismo was the base model 1750, produced from
1929 through 1933, with a single-cam engine producing 46 CV. It was good for
nearly 70 mph, and was the first Alfa available with a standard Alfa-built
sedan body, reasonably comparable in size and aesthetic sophistication to a
Model 'A" Ford. While the twin-cam versions, blown and unblown, - Gran
Turismo, Sport, Super Sport, and Gran Turismo Compressore - are the
best-remembered 1750s, the Turismos were just over half of the 1750s built -
1,131 out of 2,259.

The 17/75 part refers to a rating system (or systems) widely use before the
first World War as a taxation base, which I believe lasted longer in England
than in many other places; the last Alfa so known in Italy was the 20-30 ES
of 1921, but the 1750 was a 17/75 in England. It does not have an obvious
relationship to engine size or output, the 20-30 having been a 4,250 cc
producing 67 hp and capable of just over 80 mph. If somebody else wants to
explain the fiscal rating system I would be glad to leave the field to him.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.