rumbly 164

> I have a 91 164L that makes a deep rumbling noise, only evident when idling
> at a normal to warm temp.  The sound is much louder when the car is on an
> incline, especially with the nose pointed down.  Any ideas?
> Without experience, my guess from the sound, would be a rear main bearing, or
> the transmission.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick Rodosta
> 164L 122K mi

I also have a mild noise from my 164 which was aggravated by a dose of
thin oil last month.15w50 mobil 1 put it normal,  Mine is only at idle,
but sounds unpleasant. i have taken the approach that it has done it for
about 40K and is no worse with 98K on Sofia after some long hard use,
therefore I will leave it be until something changes. No other signs of
wear, ie; t-belt and tensioner change @ 40K mile interval with a valve
clearance check, no need to adjust, all in specs, so let it make noise.

Correct? i dunno, but it has always done it. Sounds like a small bearing
knock.  One tip... you can't hear it a 6000 rpm :o)

AlfaBill