RE: alfa-digest V7 #844

>Ed Gibbs wrote: I have pulled the factory A/C out of my car, it looked like
an >amateur job at the time.  I have since learned that this was the stock
system.  >I intend to replace it with an after market system which I expect
will have >better cooling ability.

	Up until, I think, the Milano all Alfa a/c here in the US was
installed by the importer/dealer.  Considering the times and technology the
quality if the installation is open to question, but definately not up to
todays standards.  Generally the condensor was too small for the job and the
interior fan/evaporator just not up to the job.  The York piston style
compressor was pretty typical of the times.  To use the stock system it just
has to be in peak shape...there is no room for less than a perfect system.
The system can be upgraded starting with an electric pusher fan on the
condensor and probably a larger more efficient condensor.  Next a modern
rotary compressor, like a Sankyo or similar, prob. taken from  a Japanese
car.  Finally, inside, that puny circulation fan has to be replaced.  I have
seen how-to articles to replace the stock fan with one from a Chivvy that
will blow like crazy, but I don't have the info anymore.  Maybe someone out
there on the digest has it.

	The a/c on my GTV-6 works as well as I think it can for its 1983
technology but here in south Texas we need all the cold we can get.  I am
first going to put an electric pusher fan on the current undersize
condensor. Later, a larger condensor, as big as will fit in front of the
radiator.  Installing the improved rotary compressor from a Milano, or
similar, and installing the later GTV-6 Tropic Air system with twin
evaporators and fans  inside the car.

	The stock a/c on my 164L works very well, even better since I
rewired the fan to stay on high whenever the car is running.

	I also have no time for those anachronists who seem to think that
a/c is somehow "impure".  Its a car..not a holy relic.

	Jerry in Houston