Re: unintended acceleration

joseph chuang <jochuang@domain.elided> wrote:

> I have a general question regarding the throttle operation of
> the L-jectronic equiped gtv6. Is the engine speed primarily
> regulated by the airflow meter? Will the engine rev up
> independent of driver input if the airflow meter is defective?

No.  Engine speed is regulated by the throttle.

The angle of the throttle plate alters the volumetric efficiency
of the intake system, making it easier or harder for the atmo-
sphere to push air into the engine.  The air flow meter is just
along for the ride.

Recall that the L-Jetronic's job is to turn fuel injectors on and
off.  That's it.  To that end, the air-flow meter measures air
flow and air temperature, in order to estimate air mass rate.
For a given air mass rate there's a correct fuel mass rate, which
the computer regulates by altering fuel injector duration.

For example, with the engine at idle, push on the air-flow meter
door with a screwdriver.  The mixture will richen.  Keep going,
and the engine will sputter and stall.

- - Tom
thomasw@domain.elided

P.S. Note, however, that if the air door is dragging through part
of its range of motion, or sticks occasionally, the car will have
an uneven throttle response (to say the least).