Re: Another Alfa undervalued by the insurance company!

> Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 17:39:16 -0500
> From: "B.D. & Petei Zelazny" <unltd-ltd@domain.elided>
> Subject: Another Alfa undervalued by the insurance company!
>
> Fellow Alfa enthusiasts,
>
> Today I received a letter from non Alfa Digest member Beth Bishop in
> Maryland seeking help in acquiring information on the value of a 1972
> GT Junior 1300. It was involved in an accident (not Beth's fault) and
> the driver at fault is insured by State Farm. They have offered her
> $3000 for her "totaled" Alfa. The estimated repairs are $6,700.

> Can any fellow Alfa Digest members offer personal experiences regarding
> actual sells of this model Alfa Romeo or guidance on how to "attack"
> the insurance company (Terry Akins, I know you have had invaluable advise
> to others in similar situations)? If so, please contact Beth directly via
> e-mail at <Eightball.51@domain.elided>.
>
> Thanks,
> Bernie
> AROC-USA Director

I had an experience 1 1/2 years ago with an engine fire in my GTV6 (my
fault, really), but I'm not sure it is particularly applicable.  The
appraiser who checked the car may have decided to try to grab the car,
because he tried to treble the cost of repair and total the car.

When I talked to the adjuster the first thing he said to me was "The
car has been totaled."  I responded, "I don't think so." He repeated
himself, so I asked how he believed he could do that.  He responded
that the estimate to repair the car was $3500.  At that point I had
him.  I had paid $1100 for the mechanical repairs already and I had an
extimate of $1000 to fix the hood.  The adjuster backed down very
quickly.

More to the point, I am surprised that noone has mentioned going to a
collectable car appraiser.  These people know that markets in unusual
cars and the insurance companies go with what they say.  The easiest
way to find one of these guys is find a body shop that handles
Ferraris, etc.  In the Bay Area, Mathiews - Carlson Body Shop is a good
place to ask.

Chris Prael