Re: Cleaning aluminum parts

> As far as the cam cover goes the different alloy in the cover, the oil
>pan, and the timing cover will turn a medium gray using this process. If
>you have a very smooth cam cover casting you can then polish the grayish
>finish left by this process with oooo steel wool and the result is a
>beautiful gray luster finish. Compliments the shiny block and head and
>won't over power the engine compartment like a polished cam cover does
>(at least in my opinion). If your cam cover has any oxdation remove it
>first with steel wool before doing this. If you cam cover is a rough
>casting (as some are) you will need to smooth it first or forget it.

Scotch Brite pads will work even better for polishing aluminium than 0000
steel wool, plus you CAN get the  SB material in a form suitable for
attachment to rotating power tools--drill motors or die grinders.

If you want a mirror bright aluminium polish, finish it with a felt
polishing bob and Brasso.

Greg