re: glewis@domain.elided

hi greg, ewe said:
>my verde is overheating after about five miles of driving
>I suspect the water pump. although it is not leaking I can wobble the
>pulley just a tiny bit with the belt on
>it is not the thermostat and I was able to get water to flow from the
>upper radiator hose out the lower without any apperrent clogging.
>My question is how can i determine if it is the water pum, this is a
>fairly involved process and I would like to be sure .
>please mention any timely repairs that can be completed at this time
>(timing belt etc.) I may decide to install the S cams at this time.
=============================
while a wobbly pump may in fact indicate a water pump on the way out, i don't
think this would cause overheating in the meantime.  mite be good preventive
maintenance to replace, tho.  also a good time for the timing belt, & perhaps
the mechanical belt tensioner install, if you're so inclined.

as far as your overheating, does your fan come on at ~180 degrees?  i'd suspect
not, & i'd suspect it's because the relay on the right front fender  (there's
two of 'em, side-by-side) is going away, or is already gone.  these relays have
fuses sticking out the top of 'em.  if the fan is not coming on, check the fuse,
(i believe it's the relay w/the 20a fuse), relay, etc.  ewe can pull the relay &
use a wire to connect the two connectors - the fan should come on immediately.

hope this helps,

doug s

End of alfa-digest V7 #837