Re: 1969 Dual-Circuit Brake Light Sender

Hi,

There are three pressure senders on the hydraulic tee fitting mounted on the
firewall in front of the driver. The two larger front-facing senders on
either side are the brake light switches. They are redundant-- the brake
lights will work with only one switch functional. The smaller center
upward-facing switch is for that red pressbutton gizmo on the dash. (What
exactly is it for???) There are no switches in the pedal box. First check the
fuse, it's the one second from the left. The same fuse serves the windshield
wiper motor so if the wipers don't work you've probobaly found the problem.

In my experience the pressure switches and nearby wiring are what fail, being
close to the exhaust manifold and subject to heat and old brake fluid. Test
the rest of the circuit by jumpering the two wires that plug into one of the
above-mentioned brake switches-- the brake lights should glow. If they glow
when jumpered but not when plugged into the switch and pressing on brakes
then the switch is bad. These are available from the usual suppliers,
although in a pinch I have sucessfully used readily available locally
brakelight switches from mid-60's - 70's VWs. At about 1/2 - 1/4 the price.

I get nervous driving a roundtail w/o brake lights. During the day, on my way
to the local "Bug" store to buy the above-mentioned emergency replacement
switch I turned on my parking lights each time I used my brakes and kept a
wary eye on the rearview mirror.

- --Caxambu
1969 Spider 1750
Seattle WA, not too much spider weather this week.