RE: Comments on warm build

Hi Dean,

<<Can anyone comment on the following suggestions on a proposed 2L build for
a 105? I am after something drivable and reliable with more top end. Light
track work with touring in mind.>>

I recently rebuilt the 2L fitted to my '69 GTV (600 miles and counting!) and
although I was looking more for power than drivability, I can still offer
you a few opinions.

<<larger exhaust valves,>>

Based on the research I did prior to my rebuild, this engine reportedly
responds better to larger intake valves than to larger exhaust valves.  Are
you planning on doing anything else to the head?

<<9.5:1 compression,>>

I went with the 10:1 pistons from the Motronic-equipped Spiders and have no
problem running on US premium fuel (92 oct).

<<std outlet cam, ground inlet cam,>>

I am using an asymmetric cam setup like you describe above, however, I'm
using fairly aggressive profiles on both sides (7L exhaust & 8 intake).  I
really like this setup and would recommend it to anyone.

<<extractors>>

I believe this is Australian for exhaust manifold, right?  :-)  If so and
drivability is your aim, keep it stock.  The Alfa manifold is very well
designed and provides the good low-end torque you want for drivability.  If
you are interested, you can check out my still under development Web site
for more information about the modifications done to my engine.

- -John
Seattle, WA
'69 GTV
http://members.home.net/cobar