Re:164 gear ratios and kid seats AD #830

S feels "closer ratio" solely because the final drive is shorter: 3.412 for
the S  compared to the  L at 3.111
All the actual gearbox ratios are identical, in North America at least. The
overall ratios would of course be "closer" but that is not what would
normally be meant by the term "closer ratio gearbox".

As for car seats for children, my 91 L owner's manual cryptically states
words to the effect that child seats with upper side belts are not
recommended by Alfa Romeo. I interpret this to mean that the car is not set
up to provide a rear tether strap mounting point on the "parcel shelf".
There is a plastic insert directly behind each seating position in the
parcel shelf, with a slot in it. There is pretty stout steel under the
mouse fuzz so it ought to be possible to drill for the tether mounts if
your selected child seat requires them. But, your on your own as far as the
engineering is concerned!

 Child seats with no upper tether should fit fine in the center lap belt
position. the outboard lap/shoulder belts should have a locking clip
installed which are generally available and simple to install, requiring no
permanent modification to the belts. Center rear is safest though according
to the experts.
Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta
Canada