windshield wiper lever assembly problem

Yesterday, while driving my 1985 Alfa Spider through a rain storm the lower
windshield wiper lever assembly rod broke loose at the bolt that connects
that bar to the drivers side wiper.    More specifically the threaded 4 inch
piece of metal, stamped "Germany," that is lowest on that assembly cracked at
the threads.  I tried to separate the metal piece from the plastic housing,
but the ball joint will not come loose ( I'm afraid of cracking the plastic
housing).
	Anyone have an idea how to fix this problem?  Should I drill a new
hole away from the cracked edge and retap it?  Is welding the two ends
together a viable option?  Anyone sell lever assemblies?  (IAP and Centerline
don't have them listed in their respective catalogs.)
	Thank God for RAIN - X and 70mph speed limits.
Your advice on this matter is greatly appreciated

Demitri
1985 Alfa Spider
irtimed@domain.elided