Spider diagnosis

In my opinion, the oil pressure light remaining on and the distributor
damage could be indicative of something potentially serious.  Consider
that the distributor shaft is driven by the oil pump shaft...  See where
I'm heading with this?  I would want to make darn sure there is oil
pressure by "Jerry"-rigging a manual pressure gauge.  I haven't seen a
failure of this sort, but co-incidental enough to be of concern I
think.  Suppose the pump seized for some reason and the oil pump shaft
snapped.  Considering it's got helical cut gears, would it possibly be
forced upwards and prang the distributor?

Then again, maybe it's coincidental...

Ian