Carpets

On the question of one-piece molded carpets versus multi-piece carpets, and
the date of introduction of the one-piece, I would note that all USA Alfettas
have one-piece molded carpets and I would guess that all European Alfettas
also had them from the start. If so, that would mean that the technology and
the supplier-relationship were in place by late spring 1972, and any
perceived advantage in either cost or consumer preferences would presumably
have been extended to all models which warranted more than the rubber mats
which were used on some entry-level cars. A late edition of the Euro 2000 GTV
(or Berlina) parts book should give "up to" and "from" chassis numbers. My
2000 Berlina books are early (1971) and show only multi-piece carpets.

In my limited experience all one-piece have been cut pile, all multi-piece
have been loop.

Personal preference is for the multi-piece; getting a one-piece out of an
Alfetta, removing seats, scooting stiff molded carpet over the shift lever
and handbrake (pointed in opposite directions) and around pedals is a real
annoyance- probably more so with age-stiffened twenty-year-old backing than
when new- and in case of flooding (or leaks and/or air conditioner
condensate, which can be the same thing) the sodden carpet is likely to be
left to mold and encourage rust. Molded carpet is fine in the salesroom and
for perhaps a decade after, but a long-term vintage car deserves easily
removable and locally replaceable carpeting.

John H.