164 Auto Trans Thermostat Valve

Does anyone know how this valve functions? The description given in the
CarDisc is vague and general in nature. I gather from the name that it will
open and close at set temperatures, allowing transmission fluid to flow to
the radiator. There is also a thermo switch screwed into the end of the
valve body which is used to fire off the fan. Right now, I'm guessing that
if this valve fails, no Trans fluid flows to the radiator, therefore no
cooling gets done. The fan, however, may be running due to the temperature
at the fan thermo switch. Sound reasonable?

Bob Abhalter
Grand Rapids MI