Re:Hard Right Noises 164L #814

Gerbil infestation is a possibility, although my informers tell me that
rodents prefer the more natural products common on older models.

If it sounds a little like a gerbil then my guess is your power steering
pump is the source of the noise. The sound is a high pitched waffling sort
of noise, (as might be made by an indecisive gerbil challenged by a
cornucopia of potential comestibles, if a Gerbil could make noises, can
they?).

The PS pump is located to the "front" of the engine but on the "right"
side( i.e.. the back) whereas the AC is to the "left" or front of the engine.

I had mine replaced under warranty and the new one started making the same
noise about a year later. It's still pumping merrily away and talking back
on..you guessed it.. hard (as in tight, not necessarily fast) right turns,
three years later.

If it were my decision to fix or leave alone, I'd opt for the "get used to
the companionable noise option", as it seems likely to be a chronic fault.
I only notice it at slow speeds and when the engine compartment is hot, but
it can appear just about anytime I listen for it.

Michael Smith
Calgary, Alberta

91 164L (and gerbils)