RE: speedos, 85vs140 mph

> i don't know much about pre-'83 GTV6's, but the later as well as
> Milanos/75's have only one kind of pulse counter and one kind of toothed
> wheel in the tranny regardless of gear ratio. So, sure, a 140 mph speedo
> should work fine in place of an 85 mph speedo IF the two speedos are
matched
> to one particular gear ratio (choose any one, but only One). You might be
> able to tell by the giri/m (revs per distance) label usually found on the
<snip>

in mid '85 alfa updated the gtv6 to be more like the milano.  this included
the milano style sender.

all gtv6's prior to mid '85 use the same exact sender.  some gtv6's prior to
mid '85 had a 4.10 rear end, some had a 3.41 rear end.  some had 85 mph
speedo's and some had 140 mph speedo's.

the speedo's are interchangeable, the rear end ratio has no effect.

however, the 140 mph speedo from later style gtv6's (mid '85 or later) will
*not* work properly in an early gtv6.  when i tried one in my '82 balocco it
indicated exactly 1/2 of the actual speed i was going.  i replaced it with a
140 mph speedo from an earlier gtv6 and that one worked fine.

hope this helps,

bs