Starting problems

Ok, so it's my turn. I put the Spider to bed on Friday night (it's been
running great since I took it out in April). Saturday morning it fired up
for about 3 seconds then died. During the course of troubleshooting it
managed to occasionally repeat the same performance but predominately it
cranks with energy but never catches. Doing my best to follow the
troubleshooting procedures I'm thinking it's a fuel delivery problem (all
other simple tests of sensors, spark, electrical continuity are Ok). I don't
have a pressure gauge but while cranking the main fuel pump delivers a
reasonable volume of fuel at the source when disconnected from the filter.
Question is - I thought the main fuel pump was supposed to run all the time
while the key was in the ON position. Neither the Aux or main pump is doing
this. Is this correct or should I look into the main relay or worse the
control unit. Any help is appreciated.

Barry
'89 Spider
Toronto, Canada