RE: vw's & WE-double-you's and more

and dug said:

> ok, the reason i use a "w" ven i should use a "v", is cuz i had
> turkish roomates for a number of years. ........
*****
In the most recent issue of The Red Line, official newsletter of the Orange
County AROC (in Southern California), editor Pat Hayes published the
following excerpt found in the internet, which might shed some light on the
issue of w's and v's:

 The European Commission has just announced an agreement that
English will be the offical language of the EU - rather than German
(the other possibility).

As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that
English spelling had some room for improvement, and has accepted
a 5 year phase-in of new rules which would apply to the language
and reclassify it as EuroEnglish.

The agreed plan is as follows:

In year 1, the soft "c" will be replaced by "k".  This should klear up the
konfusion and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the
troublesome "ph" is replaced by "f".  This will reduce the "fotograf" by
20%.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptance of the new spelling kan be expekted to
reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.  Governments
will enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always been a
deterent of akurate speling.  Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the
silent "e"s in the language is disgraseful and they should eliminate them.

By year 4, peopl wil be reseptiv to lingwistik korektions such as replasing
"th" with "z" and "w" with "v" (saving mor keyboard spas).

During ze fifz year, ze unecesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining
"ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of
leters.  After zis fifz year, ve vil have a reli sensibl ritn styl.  Zer vil
be no mor trubls or difikultis and evrion vil find it ezi to understand ech
ozer... ZE DREM VIL FINALI KUM TRU!!!!
******
sorry for the bandwith
submitted by Jorge (George, Georg, Kevor, Keoki)
but still an alphist.