turbos and torque

OK, let's quit worrying about real torque and hp
figures for Alfa V6's.  To quote a HP or Torque figure
means nothing.  Engines develop these numbers at
different RPM's and there is a curve involved.  To say
that you can't, within the realms of practicality,
make "X" number of lbs/ft of torque or HP without a
turbo is foolish.  Where does this occur and how flat
is the curve?
I know of a couple Alfa V6's (12 valve) that can make
over 300 HP and torque to match WITHOUT a turbo.  I
know one guy using Haltech EFI and some creative head
work that made 290hp and 255 ft/lbs on a dyno from a
2.8 motor, and with a much flatter curve than the
turbo could muster.  I wouldn't condemn turbos,
because I know what they can do, but you CAN get some
awesome numbers from an Alfa V6, without huffing and
puffing.  A well designed twin turbo system with
decent ignition system, will cost you $5000 or more.
Give me your $5000 and I will give you specs on a
KILLER normally aspirated motor with more torque below
4000 rpm and much more driveability than a full house
turbo.  Don't count on using "S" cams, pistons or
anything that says "Bosch" on it, however.
This is all a trade off.  A GTV6, Milano or 164, with
220 honest Horsepower and a decent torque curve is
faster than most of us can handle, unless you're
trying to beat the "Riceboys" at the stoplight Grand
Prix.  Let's face it... A new Honda Prelude with some
headers and a "Chip" is a handfull from 0-60, but when
the road turns left or right, guess what happens???
Go ahead... I'm asking for it... Flame away!!!

Dave Miller<doc1590@domain.elided>
1984 GTV6
1983 GTV6 (organ donor)
1962 Giulia Spider (BIG project)