re: Milano: Understeer/oversteer

Nathan Wong makes some interesting points about understeer and its causes:
>Softer front settings decrease front end grip. Understeer is a lack of
>front end grip.

The problem is that it's all relative and dynamic.  Understeer is lack of
grip at the front end of the car, relative to the rear.  The balance of
front/rear grip is not only affected by the suspension rates, but by car
design and by braking, throttle input, track conditions and all the other
transient influences acting on the car.

>It sounds like his front swaybar (anti-roll bar,whichever
>you prefer), is too big and is preventing the front end from rolling, and
>working the suspension

This is a very interesting observation, which I think illustrates the
complexity of the interacting systems and forces.  Springs and anti-roll
bars have different functions and can exert them in different situations.
Although it sounds kind of contradictory, I can believe that a combination
of stiff springs and softer bars could provide the best grip.

Dana

....to say that the car understeers because the front suspension