Re: GTV6 rear smoke from axle

> From: Thomas Washburn <thomasw@domain.elided>
>
> BKarbocus@domain.elided wrote:
> > Any ideas on smoke from rear of car after a 35 min run after
> > sitting for a while?  Car feels like rear brakes are slightly
> > engaged when rolling slowly and has spongy pedal.  Just
> > acquired and looks like new or refurbed rear calipers.  Any
> > ideas appreciated.  Bob
>
> It's not unusual for the rear brake pad clearance to take up
> after a brake job, resulting in dragging pads and a lot of
> smoke.  I suspect that this is your problem.

I would second tom's observation. Happend to me twice. The 2nd
time was also right after replacing rotors and rebuilt caliper.

What I ended up doing was to adjust the rear pads further away so when
you spin the wheel in the air while adjusting the caliper under car,
you should hear no more than tiny little bit of rotor/pad contact over
one revolution.

step on the brake couple of times then re-check the clearance by
spining the wheel. Once satisfied, tighten up handbrake adjustment but
make sure it does not apply not even slighly pressure to the levers.

The adjustments seem to differe slightly from car to car. Ie .004 in
may be loose one one car but too tight on the other...

I use Rich Hirsch's article from i Saluti, Nov 1993 almost exclusively
for adjusting rear brake.
http://reality.sgi.com/sikand_mti/clone/handbrak.htm

Good Luck

Jess