Scratchy Volume controls

Hi all! (two words)
I'm just catching up after a short vacation so I hope this thread
isn't already dead but in the past I have had repeated good luck
fixing those scratchy volume controls by (with power off)
rotating the knob from side to side a LARGE number of times
(Like... for 1 to 3 minutes) This will clean the surface of the
resistive element enough to restore operation. I refer to this
as "evenly distributing the dirt" This will usually give at least
several months of service. The next step would be to
pull the knobs off and spray some TV tuner cleaner
in along the shaft "BE CAREFUL" you are trying to
spray liquid into a very small opening
(goggles or safety glasses recomended) tuner cleaner
really burns (ask me how I know).
Good luck
Dave Partridge
76 Spider (and lots of audio equipment)