Re: Is this valve job OK?

I would say this valve job is *NOT* OK. What may be going on is that the
valve seats are OK, but the valves themselves are not. Even a brand new
valve should be "dressed" on a valve grinding machine before installation.
This ensures that the sealing surface is perfectly circular and concentric
with the stem. If you hand lap it, you may mess up the multi-angle grind
on the seats, depending on how far off the valves are. Have the valves
dressed, then repeat the "leak" test. You can also use solvent poured in
the chambers (with old spark plugs installed). They should not leak. If,
after the valves have been "dressed", you still get some leakage, hand lap
the valves, but not too much. If you have to lap them a lot, the valve job
is no good. One non-destructive test you can do easily is to coat the
valve sealing sorface with Prussian Blue, or even a Magic Marker, and
gently rotate the valve against the seat. Where the metal is in contact,
the color will be gone. Where there is no contact, the color will still be
there. If you show this to the shop that did the valves, they may take the
whole thing back and re-do it.

Before you do anything, I would suggest that the shop should be offered
the chance to make it right. If you go and grind on all the valves, THEN
claim they screwed it up, they may disagree. Just tell them the head
failed a leak test.