Re: '74 GTV beginner

I> From: Andy Newell <anewell@domain.elided>

> 1.  This car has nonfunctioning A/C.  Is there any reason I should keep the
 system in place? It seems to me to be a silly dealer option offered to the
 US for marketing reasons. Now it's dead weight.  Are there additional
 parts/blanking plates/belts I'll need in order to revert to non-A/C?

Only if you want complete originality.  For a clean looking deletion you need
2 piece to replace large bolts sticking out the front of the head.  They use
to be available from Alfa as part number: 10275850

 >2.  Is there really no way to lock the doors from the inside?  The owners
 manual implies there isn't. Strange.

Push forward on the interior door handle.

 >3.  The oil pressure at idle is bottom quarter of the gauge; at speed it's
 just below 55.  That seems low.  It's 200,000 mi old, so I'm expecting to
 rebuild the engine. Should it be a priority?

Depends on oil and temperature, but sounds good.  How many miles since last
engine rebuild?  By the way always assume it is a bad oil pressure sending
unit before tearing into anything else.

 >4.  Are valve cleaner fuel additives (eg Techron, RedLine) considered
 harmful to SPICA FI?

I have used Techtron ---- no apparent problem.

 >5.  Despite the PO's claim of "recent tuneup", I have a warm start problem.
 It cranks but won't catch, but will fire when push started. Now, with a
 turbocharged Saab, you can hardly finish saying "it runs roughly" before
 everyone in the room yells "vacuum leak!"  Is there a similar
 SPICA-for-dummies "this happens all the time" answer?

By the SPICA manual from the US Alfa Club.