Re: 101 spider 1600 engine

As mentioned before, the 101 1600 is basically a bolt-in replacement.
Pretty much everything is in the same place. If you have one, use the
1300 flywheel (no need to lighten it). Depending on what exhaust you have,
you may have a slight clearance problem. Tom Zat sells motor mounts to put
just about any motor into the 101 body. The old ones will work, but if
you had a Solex on the 1300 and you want Webers on the 1600, clearance
is an issue without the right motor mounts (AMHIK). If you have the 101
Veloce motor mounts, you should be all set.

If what you are planning is to put a 105 series 1600 in it, then there's
more work involved. The hammerhead sump won't fit. Your choices are to
fit a 101 Veloce sump (with the correct oil pump), or use a shaved
Alfetta sump together with it's oil pump. In either case, you have to
have the sump and the oil pump to match. Using the Alfetta sump has the
advantage of being cheap, having oil pumps somewhat available, and adding
lots of fins for cooling. You have to shave metal away to make room for
the oil filter cannister, unless you're going to a remote filter. The 101
Veloce sump is the class act, but takes $$$. With a 105 motor, you need
the timing case with the dipstick hole under the distributor. The 101's
had it farther back in the block. The other thing that's different is the
oil pressure fitting. The 101 used a hose. The 105 used an electrical
sender. The 101 oil temp sender is in the sump. The 105 had it on the oil
filter cannister. A 105 1600 block can be drilled to put an oil pressure
hose in the side, just like the 101. Use armored hose.

Tom Zat makes a kit to put the 105/115 series disc brakes on a Giulietta,
but not the suspension, AFAIK. The 101 suspension is fine. I prefer the
Dave Rugh springs and bars, but there are others. Koni red shocks work
well.