re: newbie question on GTV A/C

Hi Andy. I too have a 74 GTV which I finished restoring last summer. Well,
actually I'm still fine tuning, but it's very close to the way I want it. I
used to have the A/C as well, but removed that HUGE pump based on the
weight savings alone. It had ceased cooling anyway. Eventually, I would
like to replace it with a small rotary pump but haven't gotten around to it.

To remove your A/C, just disconnect all the pertinent hoses and remove the
hardware from the engine compartment (pump, condenser, dryer, etc.). No
plates or anything are needed, except for the holes where the hoses pass
through the fire wall. I used blocking plates designed for the holes in
your kitchen sink which are available at any hardware store. You don't
really want to remove the evaporator since it's part of the heater core,
and the extra weight is negligible and the hassle is significant. If you
want to make it like an original, non-A/C car, you will have to get a
new-used center console and non-A/C heater core. These are hard to come by.
You will also have to reposition the battery to the engine compartment. You
will also need to replace the large mounting bosses for the pump with tidy
plugs like the non-A/C cars have and switch to a non-A/C crank pulley. I
did only these last two steps when I had the motor rebuilt. I threw most of
the stuff away, but wish I hadn't. If you have the space, I'd suggest
keeping the stuff in case you or another owner ever wants to make it
completely stock again.

BTW, could you look and tell me how the battery cable (+) is supposed to be
routed from the body attachment underneath the car to the starter motor?
I'm not absolutely certain I've got it correct and few people are familiar
with the A/C models. With so much unfused amperage in the vicinity of the
steering relay arm, I want to be sure it's safe!

Mike Grace
Santa Barbara