17" Wheels for 164S

Todd Hoppens wrote: "I have some questions about fitting 17" wheels on a
164S.  I would like to get a set of 17" wheels that have lip "deep dish".
Can this be done??  I was told by some people that since the 164 is a front
wheel drive car, you will never be able to put a deep dish style wheel on
the car because of the high offset needed.  Does anybody know of a company
that can figure out a way to put a deep dish wheel on the 164 without mods
to the fenders?  I did find a company out in Japan that has a beautiful
three piece star wheel.  It is a 17X8 with a 22 offset and they claim it
will fit with no problem?  Does this sound right to you guys?  I sure dont
want to spend $3500 on wheels that dont fit.  It has about a 2.5" lip.
After calling HRE, Kinesis Motorsport, and Fikse which all told me they
could only do a max. of an 1.0"-1.5" lip on the wheels, I am getting very
confused.  This to me would not look as good as the deep dish look.  Please
let me know what you guys think.  Also, I will be lowering the car with
Eibach springs and running 215/45/17 wheels".

I'm running Fittipaldi 17 x 7.5" AV3 wheels with 215/45/17 Bridgestone RE71
tires. The handling improvement is amazing, while the ride quality tradeoff
is minimal. Any wider wheels (like 8") will grind on one of the rear
suspension members. I have checked for wheel well rubbing at full lock on
the fronts and found no problems. If you still have the stock electronically
adjustable shocks, I'd be very cautious about lowering the car, or using
stiffer springs. I've driven a few 164S' with adjustable Konis with the
Eibach springs, and they feel great. The one 164S I tried with stock shocks
and Eibachs was very skittish and nervous on uneven roads.

Rich Lasner
92 164S
Mill Valley CA
ARA