Re: 164 stereos

I have put a stereo in a 1991 164S.  My system consists of a Pioneer Head
Unit with a Rockford EQ.  This works to a DIN and 1/2.  The radio which comes
out of the car (at least in 91) is a Chysler radio.  As a matter of fact, you
can use a Chysler wiring harness and it works perfectly.  Then you do not
have to cut anything. (I hate to cut).  I then ran 3 sets of RCA cables to my
two amps in the trunk.  The amps are mounted on a box which holds two
Rockford Series 1  8 inch Woofers.  One four channel amp bridged to two
channels is driving the woofers and 1 Rockford four channel amp is driving
the other four speakers.  I kept the stock speakers in the door and deck for
two reasons.  One they sound pretty decent with some power to them and two
(if I remember right) they are rivited in and I did not want to disturb them.
 I cane easily pull out the sytem and go back to stock.  The job is not
difficult but it is time consuming and running wires to the back has some
tight spots.  The box was built for the woofers and fits perfectly in the
rear and I still have some trunk space to throw suitcases or some golfbags in
there.  The only thing which is not easily accessed is the ski boot and spare
tire.  You would have to remove the box (which is not terribly difficult.

As for size of the speakers, I know the rear decks are 6 x 9 and i believe
the doors (not 100% sure) are 6-1/2.

If you require more information, let me know.

Mark Manzonelli
1991 164S