A bit more on Loose Steering

Many thanks to everyone who replied to me on this unusual question. As you
may recall, I am the one with the steering wheel that wanted to rotate on the
steering shaft while the wheels continued pointing straight (an unnerving bit
of misbehavior when driving). The answer may be easier than I expected. While
I can't tell for sure, since I haven't removed the large nut from the hub
yet, it seems that the key may be missing.

That takes me to the next question. To do the repair, I need to remove the
large nut that holds the steering wheel to the shaft. I do not have the
proper size socket. It looks like about 26 mm, but I want to be sure. Before
I start buying sockets on trial and error, perhaps someone has the answer.
What is the size of the nut?

I am eager to get this fine piece of Italian metal back on the road.

Bob Rice
bpnmrice@domain.elided
'86 Spider.