Track Tires - Radial vs Bias

I have run both types on a 750F and a Lotus 61E Formula Ford in vintage
races.  On the Alfa I ran Kleber 185/65x15 and Goodyear Blue Streak
5.00x15.  I ran Blue Streaks and Yokohamas (don't remember the number)
on the Lotus.  The Blue Streaks stick better on both cars but there is
no difference in the warning that you get before losing control, at
least to me.  It is like the proverbial "apples and oranges".  The
theory is that the radial sidewall deforms more to produce a greater
slip angle before it comes loose.  The bias ply has a more linear
deformation and therefore a more predictable loss of grip.  The stiffest
sidewall seems to me to be the best no matter the construction.

Check out a new digest - alfaracing@domain.elided - for more up to date
information than from YHS.

Dave Mericle
Leucadia, CA  BEACH-N-RIDES