Air Conditioning a Spider

Well, now that we're sliding into summer A/C on all kinds of Alfas seems to
have become a "hot" Digest topic.  Here's my issue and any advice or
reference to sources is much appreciated,on list or off.  I have a hybrid
'81-'74 carbureted Spider absolutely sans A/C.  I would like to add a
complete system with adequate capacity to cool passenger and driver in the
South Texas heat, which is substantial I can assure you. I'm not looking for
  elaborate  automatic climate control, just kick-ass cooling contolled by
fan speed and an on-off switch.  Conversely, don't tell me Alfa spiders
shouldn't be air-conditioned etc.,etc.; I've heard it before and I doubt
anyone can repeat that argument in a new and interesting way.

I am familiar with the principles of auto air conditioning and don't have
any problem with fabricating or sourcing the minor components and tools to
carry out the job, but do need some advice on choosing and hanging the
compressor and designing the under-dash components.

First, does anyone know of a single-souce solution to retro-fitting adequate
A/C to four cylinder engines?  Note that I said adequate; I have considered
and provisionally rejected the originale Behr system with York reciprocating
compressor on both performance and price grounds.

Second, failing an all-in-one solution how about a component based approach?
  Eric H of Clearwater FL recently proposed the Sanden 508 as a thoroughly
adequate design used on Milanos and based on my experience I tend to agree.
But how to hang it on the I-4?  Later Spiders tucked the compressor in where
the Spica pump used to live and while I have that space I don't have the
redesigned oilpan and front cover bosses used to support the bracket.  The
early system used a bar bolted to the front of the cylinder head and hung
the compressor on the upper left. Assuming one has the bar any ideas on
bracketing the compressor to it?

Third, how about the under-dash componentry?  As luck would have it my
entire dash is now out of the car and I have unfettered access to previously
dark and mysterious spaces.  How can I take advantage of this?

This is not a cost-no-object project and so I would like to bring it in at
about what factory air costs on a new econo-box, about $600-900 overall,if
possible.

If I have this question, depend on it, others do too.  It always frustrates
me when someone raises an interesting issue and the subject is discussed off
list with no later posts but perhaps  a cryptic thank-you to those involved.
  So, I vow to report back in a later post on any information provided.

Bryan Shuler
Austin TX
'81 or so Spider (with cupholders)