track tires

     I bought a set of Yokohama A008R tires for my 74 GTV used at a swap
     meet a couple of years ago.  A tremendous bargain.  They have lasted
     through about 4 events.  But during my timed laps at Willow Springs
     they seemed to be starting to go away...unfortunately this was right
     at the end of the weekend so I couldn't be sure.

     Anyway I think i am in the market for a replacement set.  I notice in
     the Tire Rack ad they do not list A008R tires  anymore...just A008RS.
     Does anyone know for sure whether A008R's have been discontinued?

     A couple of notes I picked up during the time trial weekend.  My
     friend Art Russell bought a set of Goodyear G-Force tires at the
     beginning of the year.  These are supposed to be the latest thing.  He
     was pretty happy with them but they wore out during the weekend, after
     three events.  His friend wore a pair out in one event.  So they seem
     to be a little on the soft side.

     Someone else told me the A008RS tires also wear rather fast.

     Of course, there is a tradeoff...if they grip well they won't last
     long.  But I'd like something that is good for say 5 events or so.  I
     had some A032 tires on my GTV6 for 3 or 4 events and they still look
     pretty good.  But I think the old-fashioned A008R's grip better.

     Right now, unless someone has a better idea, if I can't find any new
     A008R's I will probably go to A032's.

     Doug Bender