Re: alfa-digest V7 #768

In a message dated 5/31/99 4:40:07 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<< The new radiators with plastic tanks are the  bain of radiator repair
 men.  You can sometimes get the tanks off and back on, but mostly the will
 leak and you have to buy a new one.  I think that is what the manufacturers
 had in mind. >>

Not long ago, the plastic radiator went South on my daughter's Toyota Corolla
and had to be replaced.  Cost: $400.  Perhaps this is one way (a la the $350
headlights) automakers have found to make up some extra profit on sold units
which have been underpriced from the factory to drive volume.  Anyhow, I
bring this up now and then when folks ask (or worse, declare in ignorance)
than Alfas are expensive to maintain.  That much for a plastic radiator for a
bottom of the line Toyota is outrageous, to me.  The fuel filter on the same
car was $65.  So, I guess all is relative in this best of all possible
worlds, but I have also driven the Toyota and aside from its overrated
economy it offers little to nothing in the driving experience category.
Perhaps this is the winning formula that led Toyota to the creation of the
ultra-popular Camry, a car purpose-built for people who hate cars and
driving, sort of an Alfa doppleganger?  Moral here (?): there's more yen to
be made producing cars for people who don't like cars and don't like to drive
than there is in making them for people who are enthusiasts like us.

Charlie

LA, CA, USA
84 GTV-6
87 75 Gold