Re: 164 Good days and bad

In message , LoweJacks@domain.elided writes
>There are two occasions when my 164 Twin Spark sounds and feels good.  Within
>the first 5 minutes of driving, when everything should be cold, and when the
>outside temperature is high.
>
>I presume that the cold start system is giving more power (and better sounds)
>when driving off with everything cold.  But I would have thought that cold
>air (denser) would provide more power, but not in my car.  It really is a
>different engine in the heat.  Could this be a ECU problem, or more
>importantly how do I get the engine to sound 'that' good all the time?
This is almost certainly due to a feul mixture problem as the ignition
circuit would cause a noticable misfire if it were giving you a problem.
Two sensors spring immediately to mind when you mention the effect of
temperature. These are the air temperature sensor located inside the air
flow meter and the coolant temperature sensor located ( I think) on the
back of the engine at the left hand side looking from the drivers seat,
right hand side looking at the engine. I dont have any specific trouble
shooting information to hand which would tell me (us) what happens if
any one sensor fails. I know from experience that the coolant
temperature sensor can have dirty contacts which causes rough idling
when cold. Check the connections at these two sensors, they might need a
clean.
The coolant temperature sensor should have the same type of connector as
the injectors as a clue to finding it.
How is the fuel consumption?
- --
jonathan coates