Re: '81 Spider bumpers

>    A non-digesti just had his '81 Spider made all pretty and repainted.
>The stock bumpers that were on it were not in the greatest shape.  Also,
>upon removal the owner was appauled with their weight.
>    What options does he have?  Are there fiberglass bumpers out there that
>are worth purchasing?  Could a rear '74 or older bumper be fitted to the
>rear?  I know the front would be much more involved.

All that weight hung out at the very ends of the Spider really changes
its ability to change directly swiftly. The original bumpers were far
lighter.

Alfa Ricambi has (or had) fiberglass replicas of the '76-'82 baby buggy
bumpers available. A set of them costs about $400. The rear is a pretty
quick bolt up, the front takes a few minutes to move the turn signal,
grille support and license place bits over. They weigh 8lbs each and
won't do much in way of protection, but they will improve the handling
nicely. Fitting early series bumpers to front or rear requires a lot more
work.

Godfrey