Re: SPICA Pump Gap

Hi Thomas,  Thank you for your attention again.

Thomas E Muccino wrote:

> If you messed with either solenoid before setting the pump gap
> properly, you may have actually compounded your mixture problem.

Haven't adjusted anything myself.

> The symptoms that you describe (good cold starting and running but poor
> performance at operating temperature)

Interesting, as today I took the car to a mechanic. (see below). I
didn't
drive it hard, keeping below 60 mph. Although the engine did not run
good as
usual, it didn't spit and sputter. ( when I ran it yesterday I drove it
at
100 mph). And here's a new twist. The SPICA was rebuilt by Wes Ingram so
have
to assume it was done right since so many people have said he is good.

> suggests to me that the logic
> section of the pump is not leaning out the mixure as the engine warms up.

What does this involve?

> You don't say how you checked the TA but it really needs to be out of the
> car to do it properly.

It was out.

I found an experienced Italian Alfa mechanic who knows the SPICA well.
He
tore into it very quickly checking all the components plus fuel flow and
air intake. He told me everything was all right. He adjusted the fuel
cut-off solenoid to no avail. He said over and over again something was
wrong with the pump but didn't know what and suggested a bench test.
Problem is he doesn't know a place to test it.

Can you imagine what can be wrong? What can I do now? It's getting
extremely frustrating as you can imagine.

Jon

PS. Do you know of a SPICA connection in Italy?